This post is also available in: Русский
Project Configuration Management
Based on PMI standards “Practice Standard for Project Configuration Management”, 1st Edition
1 day (7 hours)
In project management, the majority of the challenges and problems associated with the shedule, cost and scope of the project. Careful management of these elements allows completing projects successfully. The process of configuration management designed to keep the project in “success mainstream.” Project configuration management is a set of processes, activities, tools, methods and interactions used to manage well-defined objects throughout the project life cycle. In an era of the ever-increasing complexity of projects and increased competition between companies, the knowledge of methods of configuration management is in demand as never before.
pm.Config course is designed to produce systematic knowledge in the field of project configuration management. During the training you will learn how to develop a strategy for configuration management, identify the configurable elements, manage change, identify metrics, run the configuration validation in the project and to sum up lessons learned for use in future projects.
- Executives of companies implementing projects.
- Project managers and administrators.
- Members of the project teams.
- Project coordinators from the customer.
- Heads of key departments involved in projects.
- Project management consultants.
- Specialists planning to become PMI certified.
- Introduction to Project Configuration Management (PCM)
- The basic concepts. Key Points.
- PCM tasks. Why Apply PCM?
- Comparison of key configuration management standards.
- Configuration Management Planning
- Connection between configuration management and project management.
- Organization. Communication. Training.
- Developing a Configuration Management Plan.
- Identification of Configurable Elements
- Defining elements of the project are included in the PCM.
- Defining and structuring of information.
- Configuration Change Management
- Identification of changes in the project.
- Change requests.
- Assessment and Approval, Implementation, Verification and Acceptance, Closure of Changes.
- Configuration Status Accounting and Metrics
- Information Repository
- Tools and methods for objective measurement of progress and maturity of configurable items.
- Reporting and Analysis.
- Configuration Verification and Audits
- Independent verification and help the project team to confirm execution.
- Configuration management planning.
- Identification of elements for configuration.
- Defining structure for PCM.
- Defining change management.
- Practice tools for objective measurement of progress.
The knowledge and skills
The most important skill that students will have is the ability to apply the mechanisms of controlling the physical state of configurable elements within the project life cycle. In addition, at the end of the training, students will gain the following knowledge and skills:
- Basic concepts and benefits of configuration management in the context of project management.
- Types of configuration management.
- Good practices for configuration management adopted in the world.
- Common terminology configuration management within the project management.